Friday, August 25, 2006

Dax


Dax died on August 12th, 2006. He will be sorely missed. Saachi still looks for him from time to time although she is slowly forgetting. He was so gentle with her. She would sit on top of him and pull on his ears and he would just lay there. He was such a good sport. I still remember the day I 'adopted' him from Carla. I picked him up from Davenport, Iowa. I was shocked at how big he was at first. At his healthiest, he weighed 106 pounds of lean muscle. He survived a gastric torsion-which is fatal if not detected very early. Two years later, bone cancer got him. I had to get him euthanised. The tears came like a flood when he passed. I will never forget that moment, the last breath passing from his body. He was in so much pain, losing weight, not eating. There was no other way. It is ironic, in the end, we treat our pets better than we treat people. How many times, I have had families ask me to resuscitate their terminally and terribly ill, bedridden loved on to bring them back to a life of misery/daily agonizing pain. I am not an advocate for human euthanasia by any means, but for the terminally ill who cannot make their own decisions, the family's wishes sometimes are a fate worse than death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home